Sunday, June 5, 2011

June 5, 2011 Lake Abanakee

We met Gary & Sharon this morning for a trip to Lake Abanakee. None of us had been there before. It is near Indian Lake. We saw this motorcycle at Stewart's in Indian Lake. Check out the mini car/trailer. It was obviously heading the Americade in Lake George.
Motorcycle with mini car in tow
















Sharon wearing her hat & netting
Tim, Megan, Gary, Sharon & I started to unpack    
our gear. I looked up to see Gary & Sharon with
nets over their hats. I was thinking, "Really, nets??"
But by the time I walked to the water with my first
load of gear, I wished that I had a net too.
The Black Flies were horrible!






                         

The morning was cooler than I had expected. We didn't wear long pants, so Megan & I decided to paddle with a beach towel over our legs. It was certainly cool enough for our long sleeves. Megan decided to start bringing her Ranger doll, kind of like "Flat Stanley." She will be perched on Megan's kayak and have her picture taken at each outing. It was kind of fun seeing "Sue" perched on the kayak.
Ranger Sue comes along
Megan & Sue


We came across several areas that had a of of stumps. Many were above water, but Tim got stuck on one like a sandbar. He was able to wiggle off it in time to give us a heads up.
Stumps stick up in the water

Nest in the top of a tree
 We paddled under a bridge and saw a large bird on a power pole and another flying around it with a snake (we think) hanging from its' beak. It flew around with that snake for a while, before we lost sight of it. We did spot the nest on a platform an the top of another power pole. We think the bird may have been an Osprey, but didn't get a close enough look.
Ranger Sue

Our paddle was about 2-3 hours today.
There was enough breeze to keep the black flies away on the water. We saw a loon. They're awesome. I love how they dive under water and come up far from where they submerged.  No picture of the loon, though.We had the lake to ourselves until the very end of the trip.

Nance 

Tim & Megan (and Sue)


I would definitely go back and paddle here again. It would make a nice trip in the Fall.

1 comment:

  1. I love that Sue has a towel on her-was she cold too?

    ReplyDelete